Tuesday, October 25, 2011

INSTRUCTOR POST - reflections on assignment 1

A quick place to post comments on what you'd do differently starting out this first assignment, and what you may be able to apply to the next animation.

8 comments:

Ivania Arguello said...

Ivania Arguello: For the first assignment I worked on the acting/dialouge, like most of the students in the class. For this next one, I'd like to take a new approach and try out the creature/non-humanoid assignment this time around.

I'd like to work on referance, planning and keyframes much earlier on, so I would have more time for polishing. Getting feedback early is ideal in the blocking stage so I can move into getting to timing issues and nit-picky things

Jason Sutter said...

After doing the lip sync assignment there are a few things I would change for future assignments.
First thing: I would shoot better reference. I felt like I lost 3 weeks of work because my reference wasn’t clear enough. Shoot, shoot and shoot again until your reference is 100% what you want. Making sure my body (or actors) is completely shown. Having a torso shown only when you’re doing a full body shot isn’t that useful when you’re trying to place the feet or check your weights and balance.

Once you get your reference what you want, go into a program like photoshop and pick out your key pose and breakdown with color dots at the top of the screen ( Red for keys Blue for breakdowns). This will help with timing and the mechanics.

From here I would increase the speed of my video to 20% faster, this should help with and “slowness”

Tim Li said...

I did lip sync animation. What i would do differently would definitely plan a lot more during my first week and write everything that comes to mind, whether good or bad idea, down on a piece of paper so that i don't forget and can visually sort through what works and what doesn't. I would also spend more time on getting a good keyframe pose and shooting more reference videos so that i can actually use. Shoot the reference video more than once and try different approaches to it. But in general, just more careful planning and thinking at the start

Brittany Brode said...

For the first assignment I chose to do the two-person dialogue shot. I would do many things differently if I were to start over, but probably the most important thing I would change is the way I approached the rig. I would have taken more time to get to know it, to figure out how best to pose it, before I dove right into the keyframes. I spent a lot of time on the keyframes, but I often broke the rig to get the poses that I wanted, and I'd be more careful about that. I'd also start out in FK as opposed to IK in order to get more natural arcs in the arms.

Another thing I would have done differently - when I started moving into the breakdowns, I would have made sure to keep the timing of my key poses very obvious. I hesitated to use too many keyframes, and my animation ended up looking too even. I'd also start working on the dialogue a bit sooner.

jack vijakkhana said...

My first assignment is "Lip-sync". One of my big mistake was start blocking the key poses without shooting a reference. I tried to shoot a reference 1 week after that and found a lot of problem in my key poses and timing.

Another thing about the blocking state, I'd try to think more about the follow through and overlapping action. I feel it's better to blocking in some of those action, that will help when you're polishing if you don't want to delay the action by moving your key frame around to get the overlapping.

Ben Davis said...

For the parkour assigment, I would say really plan out your movements ahead of time. Use a lot of different references. Know where your character is headed in your scene and how long it will take to get there. Make not of movements that will require you to make new constraints in order to achieve good arcs. (swinging movements, rolls, etc.) Otherwise you'll be keying every frame and having a terrible time making any adjustments.

nicholis said...

the first assignment I did was lip sync and the first thing I needed to improve on was not only showing my characters emotions and reactions through facial expressions but through body movements as well.
Second, would have to be timing because in the first half I hesitated my characters hand snapping to the jar he was supposed to hold

Liesl said...

I chose to work on a dialogue shot for my first assignment.
I need to get over my camera-shyness and make my own video references. In an effort to avoid it this time I drew sketches instead, but I think it would be more helpful if I could see how the body transits from one pose to the other, and also the more subtle movement.